Do you know that people consume flaxseeds as food since the time immemorial? The historians say that these seeds are known to people about 6000 years ago. There are documents to prove that this might have been the world’s first cultivated super-food. This rekindled the interest of the people in its properties. That was how the research on this particular food from nature had begun. In nut shell, the contents of flaxseed are found to aid digestion, lower cholesterol, improve the skin health, fight cancer, balance hormones, lower sugar cravings and promote weight loss. This research result is just the beginning of a new world of healthy living. In this article, we would look into the advantages of flaxseed.
Benefits of Flaxseed
People call flaxseeds as linseeds in some places. They are small differently colored seeds that come in brown, golden and tan colors. According to the biochemists, these seeds are rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids, especially alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). These unsaturated fatty acids help us to make several compounds to fight disease. Our body makes use of these compounds to create grey matter in our brain.
1. They are rich sources of lignans that form major part of food we consume. They are found to contain 7 times more lignans than any other plant source.
2. These seeds have high fiber content, especially mucilage gum. It has a curing effect on the intestinal tracts and aids in bowel movement.
3. Applying two table-spoons of flaxseed oil helps people keep hair, skin and nails healthy.
4. Alpha-linolenic acid found in these seeds benefits skin and improve its texture so that it glows. It also reduces inflammation on the skin.
5. Walnuts work in tandem with flaxseeds to lower fat absorption. These seeds also support weight loss. The fibers make the stomach feel full so that you eat fewer calories of food.
6. Adding linseeds in your diet will automatically bring down the cholesterol level in blood. The soluble fibers present in the seeds trap cholesterol and lower its absorption in the body.
7. The flaxseeds are gluten-free. It is an excellent replacement for gluten-rich grains that are inflammatory.
8. Another plus point for these seeds is the presence of antioxidants. In fact, these seeds are found to have huge reservoir of antioxidants.
9. Flaxseeds improve overall digestive health. Alpha Linolenic acid present in these seeds protects the lining of the digestive tract.
10. The contents present in these seeds also offer protection against the deadly disease of cancer.