Flax seeds are oval, flat, tiny and shiny having an earthy aroma. They are loaded with nutrients. Flaxseeds are also referred to as linseeds. These seeds are the richest sources of plant-based omega-3 fatty acids and are ranked as #1 source of lignans in human diets.
The small packets are enriched with soluble and insoluble fibres, phytochemicals, vitamins and minerals.
These are considered as a superfood and are consumed across the world. With the increasing popularity of super foods concept, these are considered to be the healthiest.
Here are the advantages of adding flaxseeds to your diet.
- Digestive Health: Flaxseeds contain high amount of mucilage content. Mucilage is water soluble, gel-forming fibre.
- Additionally, mucilage helps in nutrition absorption from the stomach, by increasing the time required by the food to empty in the small intestine.
- It consumption improves intestinal health. The soluble and insoluble fibre content supports colon detoxification and acts as a natural laxative. Without harmful side effects, relief from constipation can be achieved.
- Cardiac Health: It helps in lowering bad cholesterol levels and promote production of good cholesterol.
- The omega-3 fatty acids prevent hardening of the arteries and help in maintaining the heart’s natural rhythm, thus, protecting the heart and supporting cardiac health. The cholesterol free flax seeds are associated with reducing hypertension.
- Prevention of Cancer: Lignans found in flaxseeds are converted into secoisolariciresinol in the gut which is associated with the prevention of cancer. Flaxseed has the potential to assist in the fight against prostate cancer.
They protect the body from harmful viruses and bacteria. The anti-inflammatory activity, also aids in preventing asthma. Polyphenols present in the flax seeds support the growth of probiotics in the gut and thereby aid in eliminating yeast and candida.
- Weight Loss: Flax seeds support weight loss and helps to combat obesity. The high fibre content helps to keep the extra calories at bay, by keeping the stomach full for a longer duration of time.
- Promotes Fertility: As mentioned, flax seeds are a rich source of lignans, known to balance female hormones and promote fertility.They help in controlling heavy bleeding during menstruation and help women with irregular periods.
- Reduction of Hot Flashes: Flaxseeds can help in reducing hot flashes and can help reduce other menopausal symptoms.
- Maintains Blood Sugar: Daily consumption of flaxseeds improves the blood sugar of diabetic people.
- Skin, Nails and Hair Benefits: Daily intake of flaxseeds helps in maintaining healthy skin, hair and nails.
- Flaxseeds provide B-Vitamins and Omega-3 fatty acids, essential fats to make skin healthy and reduce dryness and flakiness of the skin. The tiny seeds help to keep the skin and hair hydrated.
- Beneficial for Eyes: These are also supposed to reduce dry eye syndrome.
Add these glossy and healthy seeds in the diet and enjoy various advantages of these nutritious food by consuming them in really small amounts.